In the state of New Jersey, there are many offenses that can result in a license suspension. These include, but are not limited to:
- Accumulating 12 points or more on your current driver record.
- Being at fault in a fatal accident.
- Driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Reckless driving.
- Failure to appear (FTA) in court or to pay fines.
- Failure to pay (FTP) surcharges.
- Failure to provide proof of insurance.
- Driving with a suspended license (duration of original suspension is extended).
- Disqualification due to mental or physical condition.
- Abandoning a vehicle on a public highway.
If you have had your license suspended for any reason and decide to drive a vehicle, then you could be faced with penalties that range from $500 in fines to 180 days in jail. This is not a matter that should be taken lightly and taking the risk of driving with a suspended license is not worth the penalties.
Defenses against driving with a suspended license
While defending a case against a driving with a suspended license charge may be difficult, having a professional like Fred Sisto on your side will give you your best shot at succeeding. Fred can use his vast experience and knowledge of the Ocean County judicial system. Here are just a few ways that Fred can build a case for you in court:
- Demonstrating that the State did not provide adequate notice regarding the license suspension
- Raising reasonable doubt regarding whether the state sent the license suspension notice to the correct address
- Providing evidence that the state did not ensure proper delivery of the suspension notice
- Forcing the state to admit that they can not demonstrate that the defendant was licensed in another state
Call An Experienced, Monmouth and Ocean County Criminal Attorney
If you have been accused of driving with a suspended license, you will need a professional attorney on your side. Going into court on your own without an attorney will almost always ensure your demise. Call Fred Sisto at 732-898-3232 to receive the professional help you will need.